Friday, April 9, 2021

Featured Artist for April 2021

 Featured Artist Linda Riesenberg Fisler.

Linda has a great intro here, so I shall let her take it away......

"Peaceful" Copyright Linda R

Please introduce yourself, tell us a little about you, yourself, and answer any or all of the questions below.

Hi everyone! First, let me say that Jeni and I go way back in regards to this social media stuff.  We actually "met" on MySpace! Now that I've given away how old I am, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Linda Riesenberg Fisler and I grew up just outside of Cincinnati, Ohio.  At the age of 18, I started work at Procter & Gamble, testing the physical properties of toilet paper.  I know what you are thinking, but no, I didn't test it THAT way.  We actually had machines that stimulated all kinds of things that you probably don't think about.  We had a machine that tested if you could poke your finger through six sheets of TP, whether it would flush correctly, how strong the perforations were, and so on! In the early 80s, the computer entered the workforce and I jumped on the bandwagon for learning all about them.  From that point on, my projects centered around computer system development. I worked at P&G for 26 years before I left to become an artist-entrepreneur, focusing on oil painting, podcast producer/host, and author of both fiction and non-fiction books. 


 

 1)     What is (are) your medium (s)?

I sketch with graphite and charcoal, paint in oil colors, and mess around with watercolor markers. I paint mostly landscape paintings, pet portraits, and occasionally a figure.  

I am also an author, working on book five of the Blind Series.  The series of books centers on three people: a female attorney, a Senator, and an MI6 agent. I use the tagline--"It is kind of like Jason Bourne meets the Good Wife in the West Wing."  If you like political crime/espionage novels, you should give this a try.  These books combine history, politics, and a touch of romance (love triangle), while exploring the question--if we did something different back in the 1980s, would we be where we are today?   The book titles of the series are Blind Influence (ebook, paperback, audiobook), Blind Persuasion, Blind Alliance, and Cloaked. 

I also have two podcasts that are available on Spotify, Pandora, iHeart, and Apple podcasts to name a few.  The first podcast I started features art and creativity.  It is called Art Chat with Linda Riesenberg Fisler.  The second podcast features author readings of the Blind Series novels.  It is called Cloaked.
 



 

2)     What attracted you to this medium?

I have been writing scripts and stories since I was a kid. I even sent a script registered mail to Gene Roddenberry for Star Trek: The Next Generation. It was rejected and I didn't notice until I was in my fifties that the rejection letter provided everything I needed to re-submit my script. Self-Publishing was around in 2015 when I finished writing Blind Influence (which I used to write at lunch and on breaks at P&G). Language always fascinated me, even as a young child, and writing just came naturally. 

I began painting in 1990, as a creative outlet from work at a local art center. As time went by, I resigned from P&G to pursue my interest in writing and art full time. I worked for an internationally known Master artist for five years, during which time he mentored my painting. Since then, I have met and interviewed on the podcast many of today's top representational artists exploring everything from starting the painting, color theory/harmony, to applying the finishing touches. I paint live on Facebook, publish the live demonstration session to my YouTube channel, and I have art instruction sessions available on my Patreon page as well as available on Thinkific (in-home lesson--who would have thought we all would be at home more these days!).

"Claude's Lily Pond" Copyright Linda R

 

3)     How long have you been doing it?  

Writing since I was about 9 years old--even took some journalist classes in college until I decided the teachers were teaching more sensationalism versus reporting just facts.  I have been painting for 25 years.

4)     What do you love about it?  What are the challenges?

I love creative energy! When painting I love the simplicity of black and white value studies. I also love applying thick, luscious colors to a painting with a palette knife. It's like icing a cake or sculpting out the painting.  When writing, I love creating the story and how the characters react/develop.  It's no secret that we get into a zone when we create, and time flies by.  

It is challenging and fun to challenge ourselves as we create.  Otherwise, it becomes formulaic and boring. If I approached it with a, "Well, let's go paint the same old thing I've been painting," I wouldn't paint again. Aside from not having enough time in the day (which is probably my biggest challenge), I welcome a challenging composition or challenging subject.  With writing, the challenge is balancing the fictional story with historic times and deciding if my characters succeed in creating a different world than where we are today.  If change is possible, what should have been the focus of the three characters--should it be campaign finance reform, or something pertaining to the 2nd Amendment. Would they succeed in making progress against the chosen path? There is a lot of research that goes into writing the #BlindSeries. It is also so amazing the 20/20 hindsight you get when going in-depth into CIA/Intelligence projects and how much they shaped policy and history. 

"Giverny Lily Pond" Copyright Linda R

 

5)     Do you plan to expand on this medium?  Or change mediums?  And why?

Recently, I was gifted a box of watercolor markers (for Christmas).  I was looking for something fast that I could just play with color and spark my visual painting or drawing interests. It worked! It is fun to change it up and in turn, it sparks the creative mind.  We recently moved from Cincinnati, Ohio to Asheville, North Carolina. During the packing and unpacking, getting settled, I lost my creative time.  By the time I got to the studio to paint or write, I was worn out. Those watercolor markers gave me the freedom to just play, which got my creative side engaged. I started writing again, started the Art Chat Community on Facebook where we post challenges or opportunities for its members to jump out of our comfort zones and try something different. It's a private, closed group so that creatives feel safe to post things that may not be polished or finished yet.  I'm zooming the Art Chat podcast now and hopeful that folks will join live to listen while we discuss creative topics that touch on visual art, dance, writing, music, yoga,--basically anything that spurs us on to create. 

6)     Tell us about your studio space, or whatever area you create in.

So, my studio space in Ohio was on the unfinished side of my basement. It wasn't pretty and I added Ott lights so I got a natural light feeling in the space. It had its pros and cons. It was tucked away. I would play music on an old boom box and once I got myself down there, I really enjoyed it. I like being away from things when I am painting.  When writing, I would be in a spare bedroom where I could write and peak out a window when I was contemplating the plotline or a character's reaction. 

In Asheville, there is a space above the garage that has become my studio.  It has a window and is wonderfully filled with natural sunlight.  It is a finished space with carpet, lots of space. Out of the two spaces, I love my "new" studio more than the old one. It is more comfortable and I don't feel like I'm in a dungeon! Asheville itself has a very creative, positive vibe that was so different than where I lived in Ohio.  I teach private lessons out of this space as well, so if you are in Asheville, NC, and looking for an art instructor, let me know! 

7)     Favorite tools / Supplies / equipment?

So, I'll start with writing.  I use Word to create the content and Grammarly to correct misspellings, poor sentence structure, grammar, etc. When the final book is ready, I create an ebook version and a paperback version from the Word document. Then I use Photoshop to create the book cover. After proofing the book close to seven times, I self-publish it to Amazon and off my website. 

As for painting, I use Michael Harding handmade oil paints (the best on the market if you are looking for paints with high pigments and no other chemical additives that changes the composition of the paint and how it dries/ages), palette knives, a mixture of different brands of brushes (Rosemary&Co., Silver Grand Prix, Raphael--mostly mongoose fiber brushes), Centurion Belgium linen canvases that are oil primed, frames from PictureFrames.com. I have charcoal, graphite, and carbon pencils for sketching and the Farber Castell watercolor markers.  My easel is an old one---pretty cheap and can't remember the name. But, I just recently bought two additional easels from Jerry's Artrama-Carolina H-type easels. They are so pretty I almost hate using them.  With private lessons in my studio, I need a couple of extra easels for students to paint on. I also have a Soletek plein air easel that I'll get out and paint with sometime soon--maybe this spring. 

For the podcasts, I use Zoom to create the audio/video. The video and audio are then edited with MOVAVI. The Video goes on Youtube. The audio goes to so many outlets, including the major ones (Pandora, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Alexa, InTune, iHeart, Buzzsprout, to name a few.) 

8)     Do you enter shows?  Contests?  Have you won awards?

When I first started out I joined a few art groups, entered their juror shows, etc. I also entered local shows. I did place in some local shows. It was a mental rollercoaster and decided to back away from the competitions. There are literally millions of artists. Some groups are very closed circles and breaking into those closed circles takes a lot of time, energy, and money. Some artists find that it is a must for them. I'm not exactly that type. I love the creative energy and not competing. Judging is so subjective and I can do without paying into that subjectiveness. I am thankful to those who have found my work pleasing and those who also collect my work. Starting out with that high-level competition was probably the wrong way to start. Now with all my experience, I do contemplate joining a society and seeing how my paintings fair. I guess I am more like Monet--just create--the work will find its place. But yes, I am an award-winning artist--the catchphrase for the marketing brand.  :-D

As for writing, I am also an award-winning writer and I should probably add that my first novel won an award at the Paris Book Festival, Hollywood Book Festival, and the Great Midwest Book Festival. That inspiration told me I should focus more on writing-to have my first book place in three festivals. Blind Persuasion also placed in the Paris Book Festival. As the time to write and paint reduced, I lapsed in submitting books into competitions. It's on the projects list to possibly enter both art and book competitions. Both cost a lot of money to enter, both are subjective, and they can get you some street credibility. It is just a very competitive field and you are competing with very well-known artists/authors. 

9)     Are you actively selling your work?  If so, please tell us the types of locations you’re in or like the best – including online.

Starting with my art:  I am in the Eisele Gallery, which has now moved to virtual with the pandemic. The originals are pretty pricey, but I am also in Fine Art America, where you can order all sorts of merchandise ( from canvas prints to greeting cards to jigsaw puzzles, to face masks, to coffee mugs, to tote bags, towels, pillows, etc.) The link to my Fine Art America site is https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/linda-riesenbergfisler   I also post some of my photography pictures here as well.   I am always willing to paint commissions, which you can contact me directly at lfisler@lindafisler.com.  You can also contact me directly for any painting listed on my website for purchase at lindafisler.com

My novels and instruction books are available on Amazon. The best place to start is my author page, with lists all my books that are available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Linda-Riesenberg-Fisler/e/B00NPK2BYA/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_ebooks_1

You can also order signed copies of my fiction series off my website or by contacting me at lfisler@lindafisler.com

10)  Any advice for artists getting into your medium?

The only thing I would say is to do it because you love it.  Do it because it gives you time to do something for yourself. If you are looking to make money--become rich, don't do it.  The competition is fierce and it can be a bit depressing if you don't watch it. Have realistic goals, do some research on how much time and dedication, and if you have that time and determination then go for it.   It has taken me many years to determine that the reason I continue to paint and to write is that I love doing it.  I love my peeps who keep me inspired.  To me, that is worth a lot!

Linda is embarking on a new opportunity with colleague, John Anderson.  Artistic Harmonies Association-Create Your next AHA experience with us!   To learn more, go to Linda's website and sign up for her newsletter at www.LindaFisler.com .

"LaRoque-Gageac, France" Copyright Linda R

Please visit all the places Linda shows and sells her work, find her on social media as well.   

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post about Linda. her experiences in the arts connects with everyone and she is extremely modest about all her work. as you can see Linda is multi-faceted, extremely talented and very creative. I look forward to working with her on what I believe is a project of global scope and interest to creatives.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all of your comments. Spam links will be deleted.