Monday, June 14, 2021

Making Ear Wires

 Ever wonder what goes into making a handmade ear wire?  Most folks take these for granted, since most jewelry is made with commercial components.  They can be purchased in almost any metal type.

As a jewelry maker, I prefer to make my own, from cut wire.  I use sterling silver, copper and tin bronze for a gold color.

Stay with me as I take you on a brief journey of how these are made.

First I start with purchased wire that comes in different lengths.  I prefer 20 gauge, as it's sturdy enough to work with and an appropriate size for a pierced ear.

I try to make a few of these at a time, so I have them ready when needed.  I cut them in two inch lengths.


I use flush wire cutters.  These samples are tin bronze wire.

Next I need to "draw a bead" on one end with the torch.  This is done quickly as I hold the wire with a pair of pliers and dip it into the flame just long enough to heat up and form a ball.

Now they are black from the flame, so I dip them into "pickle", a chemical solution that removes the fire scale from the metal.  Then I place them in a baking soda bath to neutralize the chemicals.

Next I use fine steel wool to sand off the remaining fire scale.  I also file down the other end with my file and sandpaper.


 Now it's time to shape the wire.


I use two types of pliers, the large ones make the biggest loop, for the ear, and the smaller pliers for the balled end.


I love these pliers!  They are called Wubbers, superior quality.  I wrap the wire around the smaller end to make a nice shape.


Then I bend up the balled end with the smaller round pliers, leaving just enough of an opening for whatever earring component will be attached.  Another small bend at the tip to fit easily into the pierced ear.

There you have it!  How to make ear wires.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all of your comments. Spam links will be deleted.