Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Easy Brooches

 This year I'm focusing on cold connections in my stones and metal jewelry.  So the next logical step was to make a brooch.  I worked it out in my mind first, which is how all my ideas start, then on paper if needed.  This time it was more a matter of just doing it to see if all the parts work.

To my delight, they did!  That's the real work, by the way, making sure all the tools and parts are the correct sizes to work together.  In this case it was the metal hole punch, the rivet size and the hole of the pin back.  You'll also need the correct rivet punch.  Next is design.

This first one I made with a wonderfully textured piece of copper from my scrap box that I'd been using for a punch test.  Who knew this would become a finished piece!  I cut it into a square and sanded all of the edges.

cold connection brooch

pin back

The real trick in the design process is placing the pin back so that the rivets add to the design on the front.  Where you place it on the back isn't as important because you can wear a brooch pinned just about anywhere;  sideways, upside down, etc., as long as the weight doesn't change how it hangs.  But these smaller ones are very light weight.

So you can see how I've placed the rivets so the flat end is on the pin back and the decorative, cap end is on the front of the piece.  By the way, these are 4mm compression rivets, manufactured to be hammered into each other.

I also added a tiny domed piece of metal on one of the rivets for design and dimension effect, otherwise it might have looked too flat and uninteresting.  All the odd dents and discoloration of the front of the piece add to the design, making it quite abstract.

The finished piece is only about an inch by an inch and a half, lightweight and versatile for any application, like a scarf, hat or lapel.  

I was so encouraged by how easily the first one came together that I quickly set to making a second one.  I used another piece of recycled metal from a previous design, a little bigger this time.  I liked the domed circle idea so I used it again, only this time it is added after I attached the pin back.

I think the rivets really add to the design of the front.  As I mentioned earlier, that's really the only consideration in designing these is the placement of the pin back in relation to how the rivets will look on the front.


I added the curl for more dimension on the front.

I think this line of jewelry is what I have been waiting for to apply my love for abstract design.  I wanted to paint abstracts for years but couldn't really get the hang of it.  Apparently I was destined for constructing it instead. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all of your comments. Spam links will be deleted.