Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Featured Artist for February 2021

 I am so excited to be offering monthly Featured Artist spots!  I'm going to dive right in with our first guest.

Debbie Tracey Art

"Aquatic Journey" by Debbie Tracey

Debbie Tracey, of Debbie Tracey Art, is a Puget Sound artist, in Washington State.  I first met Debbie at The Artists' Gallery in Olympia a little over a year ago.  I wanted to see what was happening with art in Olympia and stopped in to check out this fabulous gallery.

Debbie greeted me with enthusiasm, we hit if off immediately on the art vibe.  She showed me around the gallery and presented her work as well, vibrant, colorful, bursts of artistic expression!  I was so impressed that I brought my brother back a few weeks later.

Debbie has graciously answered a few questions for our readers and included some of her latest work which can be found at the links below.  Please look for her work and follow her on Facebook and Instagram.  I know you will love it!

Here is our questionnaire and Debbie's profile photo:


What is your medium?  Acrylic

What attracted you to this medium?  I was attracted to acrylic because of the vibrant colors

How long have you been doing it? I have been working with acrylics for almost 10 years.

What do you love about it?  What are the challenges?  I love the bold colors. I also mix this with a medium so I am working with a wet canvas. The challenge is moving colors to create each painting.

Do you plan to expand on this medium?  Or change mediums?  And why?
I don’t plan to change mediums.

Tell us about your studio space, or whatever area you create in.
My studio is located on the Puget Sound. It’s a small space but it works for me. I have a great view!

Favorite tools / Supplies / equipment?
My main tools are pallet knives. I also use a catalyst to create some texture.

Do you enter shows?  Contests?  Have you won awards? I enter shows all the time. Most of them are from CAFÉ.

Are you actively selling your work?  If so, please tell us the types of locations you’re in or like the best – including online. 
I sell online and also at galleries. I will be showing my work for 2 months in Cliff Creek  winery in Oregon in April and May.

Any advice for artists getting into your medium? 
I am constantly learning. Because my work is fluid, its all about experimenting and recreating techniques that work.

Work can be purchased on her website www.debbietracey.com, Art At The Cave in Vancouver, Phoenix Rising Art Gallery in Vancouver, The Artists’ Gallery in Olympia, Mosaic Arts Alliance online, and Society of Washington Artists online.

Facebook is Debbie Tracey Art, Instagram DebbieTraceyArt, Xanadu Art Catalog online.

"Gratitude" by Debbie Tracey

 
"Hidden Beauty" by Debbie Tracey

"Memories of Sedona" by Debbie Tracey


Here is Debbie's Bio:

Debbie Tracey is an independent artist working with acrylic paint and mediums. Having grown up on
Kauai, she pulls many of her ideas from experiences and beauty of the islands. Debbie graduated from
Pacific University in Oregon with a degree in Fine Arts, adding a Master’s Degree in Education. She
taught for 30 years and art was one of the topics she loved to share with her students.
Her studio is on the Puget Sound in Olympia, Washington, Tracey finds inspiration in her
island upbringing. The vibrancy of island life works its way into each of her abstracts. “My joy comes
from bold color!” Tracey explains. “I also love the fluid movement of my work, which becomes a ‘dance’
with my creative soul.” This fluidity comes from her loose painting process, which involves pouring
paint onto the canvas, moving and sculpting it with a pallet knife, and adding layers. Her combined use
of color and texture creates a unique flow that evokes the natural beauty of Kauai. While she doesn’t
always start with a particular subject in mind, many of Tracey’s paintings morph into abstract depictions
of nature. “Each painting is an experiment with color and movement, which creates a unique and
dynamic piece,” she says. “I usually start with choosing colors and go from there, mixing and moving
them around the canvas. I work with my canvas laying flat on a table so I can view it from many angles.
The painting evolves with new colors or layers added to the canvas.” Some of Tracey’s major artistic
influences include Bette Ridgway and Caliche and Pao. She notes that “their color pallets greatly
influenced my choices of color. Bright, wild, and exciting!” Viewers and collectors often comment that
Tracey’s lively abstracts bring a smile to their face and joy to their home.
Many have felt refreshed by the presence of island life and warmth in her paintings. Tracey is a member
of The Artists’ Gallery in Olympia and shows her work at The Artists’ Gallery in Olympia, WA, Museum
Contempo in Shelton, WA, Art At TheCave in Vancouver, Wa , Phoenix Rising Art Gallery in Vancouver,
WA, The Valley Athletic Club in Tumwater, Wa, Mosaic Arts Alliance in Vancouver, WA, Society of
Washington Artists in Vancouver, WA, Xanadu Catalog in Scottsdale, AZ, and
Perks Of Art in Hillsboro, OR. Her work is available to see on her website debbietracey.com.

 

**All Images property of Debbie Tracy, Copyright Debbie Tracy Art, All rights reserved. **

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all of your comments. Spam links will be deleted.