Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Featured Artist for March 2021

 Featured Artist of the Month! Kristi Hugs

I have known Kristi for over twenty years and watched her work her way through endless research to come to know what she now offers on her websites and through her Facebook group and Patreon membership. 
Here she talks about her artistic medium that blends beautifully with her other endeavors. 

"Earth Tribe" by Kristi Hugs

 

Please introduce yourself, tell us a little about you and answer any or all of the questions below.

My name is Kristi and I have been working with/teaching about crystals for over 20 years. My Crystal KaleidoScapes came by along quite by accident. I was playing around one day with a new photo program, clicking on every setting to see what happened. When using a crystal picture I had taken as the “subject” I was elated to see all that I could do to change its shape, texture and visuals. Each was unique and each brought me great joy. I have been creating ever since.

What is (are) your medium (s)?
My medium is called Digital Art.

What attracted you to this medium?
I have always had an “artist's eye” but my hand drawn work was not to my satisfaction. The Digital Art allows me a huge number of options and techniques that appeal to my artist's eye and my heart and soul.

How long have you been doing it?
I have been creating Crystal KaleidoScapes for 12 years now.

What do you love about it?
First and foremost, it merges my love of crystals with my love of the creative process. Second, the element of surprise! Many artists have a specific subject in mind before they begin. With my art, I am always surprised at what appears and when it appears.

What are the challenges?
Not being able to create that AH HA moment with a piece I am working on. Sometimes, they just come out “so so” and I am not satisfied.


"The Path" by Kristi Hugs

Do you plan to expand on this medium? Or change mediums? And why?
I am looking to upgrade my program as there are new options out there each and every day so expansion is always an option. Changing mediums? I am always opened to that.

Tell us about your studio space, or whatever area you create in.
There are actually two spaces. One is the photography area in my crystal room with proper lighting, where I choose the crystals for a piece, then arrange and take multiple pictures. After doing that, I do my editing and creation in the office where my computer is.

Favorite tools / Supplies / equipment?
I have a 
Canon PowerShot SX540 Digital Camera w/ 50x Optical Zoom Camera I just recently purchased. I really love Canon so will upgrade at some point. That is the most important tool for what I do. I use several photo editing programs but prefer Corel Paint Shop Pro for the artsy stuff.

Do you enter shows? Contests? Have you won awards?
I have not entered any shows or contests. Back in 2011, one of my Crystal KaleidoScapes was chosen to be the cover of a medical text book printed by Cambridge University Press which was exciting for me. 

"Dreamweaver" by Kristi Hugs

 

Are you actively selling your work? If so, please tell us the types of locations you’re in or like the best – including online.

I do sell both Greeting cards and 8 x 10 prints on my website. I also have a Fine Art America website where many of my pieces are available in both art offerings and a number of additional products such as masks, tapestries and cell phone covers. A local crystal shop, Cove Crystals, carries a few of my larger prints and I am able to print on demand copies of my Crystal Council Oracle deck with includes many of my Crystal KaleidoScapes when requested.

Any advice for artists getting into your medium?
Enjoy the process and have fun!

Kristi Hugs


Website Shopping https://www.etsy.com/shop/CrystalCommunions 

Fine Art America https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/kristi-hugs/shop

Pinterest  https://www.pinterest.com/kristihugs/_saved/

 

All images copyright Kristi Hugs - All Rights Reserved. 

1 comment:

I welcome all of your comments. Spam links will be deleted.