Friday, February 4, 2022

2022 Creative Projects

 As promised, I am working on two techniques right now.  Starting the year out with coloring metal and incorporating hardware into my designs.

Adding color to metal took some thought and research as I wanted specific results that looked either antiqued or at least had a matte finish.  I am working with Vintaj paints and combining a matte glaze that is also a fixative, perfect.
The colors are simple, basic pink, blue and green and I can make turquoise and purple with them.



Nothing sensational here yet, but it's the direction I want to go and I can see the end results in my head.  Stay tuned!

The other thing I want to create are pendant pieces that have moving parts, or are at least three dimensional to some degree.  This involved selecting screws, nuts and washers that fit with each other both in size and have complementing colors.  However I wanted to take the color to another level, so I torched most of them to an antiqued finish.  I left the black alone as they probably have a paint finish on them.


I also needed to select the appropriate drill bit to get the right hole size.  I'm sticking with just a few parts to start with.  The copper and bronze sheet drill nicely.

I made this prototype pendant with a bronze piece and a copper patina piece.  I added some forging marks for texture and drilled them.  The concept works!  There are two washers between the two metal sheets for the gap and the nut is hidden on the back.  


I'd like to add more to this pendant, so it's in process.  It can hang on chain or leather cord and serve as a unisex / gender neutral necklace.  

This has been fun so far!  I'll be back in a couple weeks with more updates and progress.

 Thanks for reading the blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all of your comments. Spam links will be deleted.